Welcome to K.M. Madyastha's Home Page
K. Madhava Madyastha
Tel: +91-80-2341-5584 (home)
Education: Ph.D. Poona University (1967, with P.K. Bhattacharya); Postdoc.: Oregon State University, St.Louis University; Research Associate Professor, St.Louis University.
Bio-organic Chemistry, Xenobiotic Metabolism, Microbial
Rersearch Interests: Xenobiotic metabolism in the mammalian
system and the chemical basis for toxicity; role of cytochrome P-
450 system (both hepatic and extrahepatic) in the metabolism of
plant xenobiotics in the mammalian system; microbial
transformations of terpenoids, steroids, sterols and alkaloids;
microbes or enzymes isolated from them as reagents in organic
synthesis; comparative study of the metabolism of terpenoids in
different living systems; functional aspects of cytochrome P-450
and cytochrome b5 systems from higher plants; Industrial enzymes.
- Bhat. B. Vadiraja, Nilesh W. Gaikwad and K. M. Madyastha, Hepatoprotective Effect of C-Phycocyanin: Protection for Carbon tetrachloride and R-(+)-pulegone-mediated hepatotoxicity in rats., Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 249, 428-431 (1998).
- K. M. Madyastha, G. R. Sridhar, Bhat. B. Vadiraja and Y. Sudha Madhavi, Purification and partial characterization of Caffeine oxidase- a novel enzyme from a mixed culture consortium. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 263, 460-464 (1999).
- K. Venkatakrishnan and K. M. Madyastha, Biocatalyst-Mediated efficient functionalization of ring ¢ A¢ in Salannin, a
tetranortriterpene from Azadirachta Indica. J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. I, 1183-1184 (1998).
- K. M. Madyastha and G. R. Sridhar, Highly efficient C-8 oxidation of substituted xanthines with substitution at 1-, 3-, and 7-positions using Biocatalysts. J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. I, 677-680 (1999).
- K. M. Madyastha and K. Venkatakrishnan. Biocatalyst-mediated expansion of ring ¢ D¢ in azadirachtin, a potent insect antifeedant from Azadirachta Indica. Tetrahedran Letters, 40, 5243-5246 (1999).
- H.V. Thulasiram, A. K. Gadad and K. M. Madyastha, Role of C-5 chiral center in R-(+)-Pulegone- mediated hepatotoxicity: Metabolic disposition and toxicity of 5,5-dimethyl-2-(1-methylethylidene)-cyclohexanone in rats. Drug Metabolism and Disposition, 28, 833-844 (2000).
- K. M. Madyastha and H.V. Thulasiram, Transformation of a monoterpene ketone, R-(+)-Pulegone, a potent hepatotoxin, in Mucor piriformis, J. Agric. Food Chem. 47, 1203-1207 (1999).
- K. M. Madyastha and K. Venkatakrishnan, Structural flexibility in the biocatalyst-mediated functionalization of ring ¢ A¢ in Salannin, a tetranortriterpene from Azadirachta indica, J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. I, 0000-0000 (2000) (In press).
- Bhat. B. Vadiraja and K. M. Madyastha, C-Phycocyanin: A Potent Peroxyl Radical Scavenger in Vivo and in Vitro.
Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 275, 20-25 (2000).
For a one page summary in Windows Word 97 format click here (94 KB)
Back to the Faculty page
Back to the Department of Organic Chemistry Home Page