G.S.R. Subba Rao
Tel: 91-80-2346-6430 (home)
D.Sc., 1962 (Andhra University, Waltair), Ph.D., 1966 (University of Manchester, UK), Postdoc at Manchester and Canberra (1962-1971)
Organic Synthesis, Natural Product Chemistry,
Reaction Mechanisms, Organometallic Chemistry,
My group has developed new strategies of synthesis of natural products using cyclohexadienes, readily available from the Birch reduction of aromatic substrates. This methodology has been extensively used for the total synthesis of several mold metabolites, which include the orsellinic acid derivatives, macrocyclic lactones, several naturally occuring sesquiterpenes having the tricyclo(6.2.1.01,5)undecane and the tricyclo(5.2.2.01,5)undecane skeleton.
We have also developed the synthesis of steroid hormones and prostaglandin derivatives by using this methodology; total synthesis of diterpenes, complex xanthones and spiro(4.5)decanes. A new mechanism involving the formation and protonation of anion radicals to explain anomalous behaviour during the Birch reduction of styrenoids was suggested.
The structures of several natural products including iterpenes, triterpenes, alkaloids and steroid sapogenins were eludicated. The application of organometallic reagents in homogenous hydrogenation, oxidation, isomerization and related processes were investigated. We have also developed methods for the production of various drugs and drug intermediates including oral contraceptives for the Indian pharmaceutical industry.
- Tandem 5-exo-trig allyl and 3-exo-trig radical cyclisation and its rearrangement to Copa and Ylanga
sesquiterpene skeleton K. Kaliappan and G.S.R. Subba Rao, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun., 1996, 2331-2.
- Synthesis based on Cyclohexadienes Part 24. A new total synthesis of pupukean-2-one and a facile entry to
copa and ylanga type sesquiterpene skeletons, K. Kaliappan and G.S.R. Subba Rao, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin
Trans 1, 1997, 3393-99.
- Synthesis based on Cyclohexadienes Part 25. Total Synthesis of allo- Cedrol [Khusiol], P. Sathya Shankar
and G.S.R. Subba Rao, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans 1, 1998, 539-47
- A highly flexible route to Tricyclo [4.3.1.03,7]-, and Tricyclo [4.3.0.04,10]decanes: A short synthesis of
Pupukean-2-one. P.J. Biju and G.S.R. Subba Rao, Tetrahedron Lett., 1999, 40, 181-4
- A new strategy for the synthesis of spiro[4,5]decanes: A formal synthesis of Acorone, P. J. Biju and
G.S.R.Subba Rao, Tetrahedron Lett., 1999, 40, 2405
For a one page summary in Windows Word 97 format click here (130 KB)
Back to the Faculty page
Back to the Department of Organic Chemistry Home Page